Welcome to the Research Unit of Financial and Actuarial Mathematics
Stochastic mathematical finance is a very active field of research which is developed in academia as well as by practitioners in banks and insurance companies. For the management of financial risk and the pricing and hedging of derivatives, e.g. options, the use of advanced stochastic methods became an indispensable tool in recent years.
The modelling of insurance risk has already a longer tradition and is the classical domain of actuaries.
The areas of financial and actuarial mathematics become more and more interrelated and present an excellent example of a fruitful interplay between basic research and practical applications. The corresponding mathematical techniques are increasingly important in the daily business of banks and insurance companies, which offer excellent job opportunities to specialists in the field.
- The Research Unit of Financial and Actuarial Mathematics (FAM) is headed
by Professor Uwe Schmock, who is also director of
the CD Laboratory PRisMa. Since October 1, 2012, the Research Unit
is strengthened by the appointment of Professor
The research interests of our group cover active areas such as
arbitrage theory, utility optimization, hedging of derivatives, interest rate
theory, credit risk, rare events and insurance mathematics.
- Our group organises a regular series of seminars on mathematical
finance and actuarial mathematics to stimulate the research environment
and provide practitioners with access to the most recent advances in the
area of financial mathematics.
- We offer a Bachelor and Master in Financial and Actuarial
Mathematics. These pages are mainly in German.
- PRisMa Lab
- In the Christian Doppler Laboratory for Portfolio Risk Management,
we do joint application-oriented research with close cooperation with
our industry partners UniCredit Bank Austria (BA), Austrian
Federal Financing Agency (ÖBFA), COR&FJA and Austrian Control
- FAM goes public
- Posters, information material and instructive simulations (games)
for the interested general public.
- List of recent job offers in the area of financial and actuarial
mathematics in Austria.
- We are a part of the Department of Mathematical Methods in Economics
at the Vienna University of Technology, which is located in the center of
Vienna, near the opera.
- FAM-ily (local)
- Local access for members of the research group only.
Vienna University of Technology
Financial and Actuarial Mathematics
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10/105-1, A-1040 Vienna, Austria
phone: (+43-1) 58801-10511,
fax: (+43-1) 58801-10599